Baking


My Christmas crafting is nearly done, and I am in the home stretch! I have finished all 6 I-Spy bags for the kiddos in my life.  They came out really cute.  The key to making them is the teflon foot for sewing the vinyl.  They were super easy with that attachment.  Otherwise, it would have been a real pain!  These are so fun. I have all kinds of small goodies inside.
All 6 I-Spy bags!

To make these, I cut out 2 9″ squares of fabric. I picked out my toys.  Then I printed the list of toys on an iron on transfer sheet. I ironed it onto a piece of ivory knit fabric that I had.  I then sewed that onto  one of the squares.  On the other square, I cut out the center. I then cut a piece of vinyl a little bit bigger. I sewed the vinyl to the back of the opening (double stitched). I then sewed the 2 squares together (right sides facing), leaving a small opening.  I then topstitched around (except for the small opening).  I added the toys and poly pellets. I then stitched the opening closed (blind stitch by hand).  Then I topstitched the small opening area.  They were pretty easy!

Showing the back

The last couple of days, I have been working on making other little gifts.  For my nieces, I decided I wanted to do a little hand sanitizer holder. I spent a lot of time looking online for a pattern/tutorial I liked. I never found one.  I had some socks that I bought for another project. I started thinking about how to use them.  This is what I created:
Sanitizer sock 1

I am calling them hand sanitizer socks!  I love how they turned out.
Sanitizer sock 2
The button is just for decoration. It closes at the top with a snap.
Inside

I have been covering composition notebooks with fabric using fusible web.  I ran out with two notebooks left.  After I pick some more up and finish, I will post pictures.  Besides that, I need to do a little more candy making. I also want to make a few coupon holders to have on hand to give as emergency gifts.  I have a few things I have made that need to be photographed.  I should be posting the final wrap up in the next few days.

Advertisements

This weekend has been really busy. I have made chocolate/white chocolate coated pretzels, coconut bon bons, and peppermint bark.  I got a chocolate melter at JoAnn’s on Black Friday. It was the best $15 I have spent in a long time!  It made it so easy to make all my Christmas candy.  It cleans up so easy too!

Besides that, I finished the superhero capes.  Four capes, instead of the three I planned.  Fortunately, flannel was $1.27 a yard at JoAnn’s on Friday.  I got some pink and a pink/brown floral for my niece’s cape (special request from her mom when she found out I had done them for the boys).  They came out really cute.

When I first read that it would take about 2 hours to make a cape, I didn’t think that was accurate.  It was.  The pink cape took me an hour and a half this evening. The other capes I made together. They took me a total of 6 hours to complete (which is 2 hours per cape).  They are not difficult. The hardest thing was the applique.  I had never done it before, but it wasn’t too bad. The flames on Logan’s cape were the most difficult.

Besides cute superhero capes, I also made a notebook cover for Logan’s teacher and a coupon holder for my mother-in-law. For the notebook cover, I used this tutorial, but I used a large composition book. I had some cute vintage fabric.  For MIL’s coupon holder, I used this tutorial.  Next time, I will add some interfacing to give it a little structure, and I will print the labels on ribbon and sew them on.  Sewing vinyl is a real pain!  I will post pictures later.  I also have been knitting on a baby hat for a friend.

I feel like I got a lot done. I still went shopping, ate too much, spent time with family, went to the city tree lighting, and went to church. I didn’t just craft all weekend.  It has left me feeling very accomplished!