This past week was really difficult. A couple I am very close to and work with lost their toddler in a very tragic way. Most of the week, I was in a bit of a daze. For two days, I couldn’t even focus long enough to work on simple projects. I finally started to come out of it, and being able to craft became very comforting to me. As a result, I was able to get a lot done.
First up, my DH’s birthday surprise blanket! I decided to do this a few days before his birthday. I told him that I was going to make it for someone else. I had him help me pick a pattern to go with the yarn. I thought that it would be so fast because it was bulky. It was not. In part, it took me a long time because I decided to make it so big! So here are the details:
Project: Secret Blanket
Pattern: Marshmallow Crochet Baby Blanket
Hook: Size N
Yarn: Bernat Blanket in Mallard Wood (7 skeins)
Started: April 24, 2015
Finished: May 15, 2015
Modifications and notes: I started with a chain of 103 to upsize this to an adult blanket. It came out 41″ x 56″. I didn’t expect it to take so much yarn, so there are several different dye lots. Only one stands out as very different. I should have gone up another hook size. This is a little stiff. That being said, my DH has used it every night since it was completed to cover his legs while watching tv (that was what I had intended it for).
You can see the stripe of the differing dye lot in this picture. My husband didn’t really notice (or care), so that is all that matters. This blanket is super soft and warm without being stifling (it is breathable because of the pattern). I really like how it came out!
On Saturday, my husband’s little cousin announced that she is pregnant. My husband gets to see her once a year, so he asked me if I had anything for him to take up for the new baby. I didn’t, but I had been seeing the Wee Fast, Wee Speedy, and Wee Sweet patterns on Ravelry and Craftsy. I quickly glanced through and picked Wee Fast. I happened to have a skein of bulky yarn on hand. This wee sweater is so cute and took me around 2 hours to complete (that is a guess given the number of interruptions I had). The pattern is simple. It would have gone faster, but I used bamboo needles. That never works out well for me! It slowed me a down a lot. So here are the details:
Project: Wee Fast
Pattern: Wee Fast
Needles: 10 1/2 and 11
Yarn: Lion Brand Baby First in the Honey Bee Colorway (about 1/2 a skein)
Started and Finished: May 16, 2015
Modifications: My only modification was to start with a size 10 1/2 instead of a 10. This was because I grabbed the wrong needles and was not intentional. I used a button from my button jar.