I can’t believe how little time I have had lately. So, this will probably be a long post. There is a lot going on in my life.
1. CB’s testing and such: We had CB’s EEG last week. The neurologist was really surprised by the results. We suspected that CB was having absence seizures a couple times a week. It turns out that it is more like a couple times a day (and when he is tired or stressed, a couple times an hour). He is now on meds. We have already noticed a difference after one week. He is more focused. He is also sleeping a lot more (and really well). We have an MRI in December. That will determine if there is any neurological cause for all his right side weakness. In the meantime, we will be starting physical therapy on Friday. Everyone has expected me to be very upset about the results. So far, I just feel a real sense of peace. CB is happy and healthy. He has absence epilepsy, but no delays as a result and it seems like the meds will work. He is growing and is cute as a bug. I couldn’t ask for a better kid. We are just trusting in God that this is all part of the plan. On a very positive note, CB has started calling me “mama”!! Until last week, he called me “this” if he was talking to me or “that” if he was talking about me. He called his pacifier “mama”. It was a little strange to hear him say, “Love you, This.” Last week, he started calling me “moi moi” (think French pronunciation). Just last night, he finally converted that to “mama” (so now it is confusing…sometimes he wants me and sometimes he is asking for his paci). It is so nice to hear, “Love you, mama” at night!
2. On the knitting front, I have been working like crazy on Christmas gifts (when I get a chance). I have done some more afghan squares (all are pictured in my projects on Ravelry). I am currently waiting on the final Knitpicks order for the yarn. Once I get that, I should be able to blaze through the squares to get caught up (I hope)!
3. I got a great package from my pal in the Flat Rate Box Swap! It had two skeins of Classic Lite Alpaca yarn, two skeins of Palette, a skein of Sockotta, and a skein of Baby Cashmerino. She also included a pumpkin dishcloth (which CB loves, and keeps him from whining about having his face washed). I also received cocoa, two kinds of coffee, cinnamon bears, and Good n’ Plenty. My pal, Shannon, included things for the kids too. There was some ribbon for their scrapbooks, a little book for CB, an activity book for LB, and stickers for their scrapbooks. She also included honey from her local market (that is my littlest one’s hand reaching for the bear), soap from her local market, candles (that smell so good!), a circular needle perfect for two at a time socks, stitch markers (the kind I was going to buy myself, but could never justify it), stationary, and a calendar! It was a very full box!! Here is a link to a post about it with pictures.
4. I have also been very busy with church. We are putting on a Kid’s ministry program the first Sunday of every month. I am the team leader for the greeters. I am also the contact person for the volunteers for our church (we are doing the ministry with three other churches). That hasn’t been too bad. I am also in charge of the planning for our annual Halloween carnival, Halloweenival (clever, huh). It has been hectic planning, but it is all starting to come together.
5. Lately, I have really been focused on the homeless. As some of you know, during law school, I worked in the Homeless Legal Rights Unit in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale legal aid. Homelessness is a big issue for me (my pet issue if you will). When I moved north and took this job, it kind of went on the back burner. Lately, every conversation, every new person I meet, everything I do seems to put me into contact with the issue again. Our community no longer has an emergency shelter. Right now, I am working with some other members of the community to see what can be done about that. In knitting related news, I decided to open a chapter of Warming Families here. The North Florida Chapter is officially open and accepting donations! I am really excited to be doing this small thing to help the community!
Well, that is what I have been doing with my time! I will try to be better at posting as things slow down (which I hope is really soon!)!!